On June 5, 1997, the Presidents of Mexico, Guatemala, and Honduras, and the Prime Minister of Belize met in Tulum, Mexico and signed an agreement known as the Tulum Declaration. This agreement promised to promote sustainable use of the reef system and promised to establish coordinated conservation efforts and cooperative programs and projects. In 2007, the leaders of these nations signed a renovation of the commitment to protect the MAR and to commemorate this agreement March 10th was declared the Mesoamerican Coral Reef System Day.
The Mayan Reef Alliance, developed by our partners Restore Coral, is the integration of the latest assisted coral reproduction techniques and coral reef technology with a scalable market based solution that allows Academia, Civic Society, Private & Public Sectors to participate and collaborate on the coral restoration of the Mesoamerican Reef.
By engaging these sectors through an Alliance for the purpose of mitigation, resilience and replanting corals we can achieve the following:
- New stock of biodiverse Corals for the already naturally protected areas
- Research and education of the best methods of replanting coral
- Development of emerging technologies such as robotics and A.I for the landscaping of marine ecosystems on an industrial scale
- A Coral resilience program that includes cryogenization and coral genomes R&D with the goal of ocean geo-engineering
- The spread of this coral farming knowledge around the world
- Participation of universities and students for coral restoration in professional practices
- Local communities participating in the construction of coral farms and artificial coral reefs
- The creation of cooperatives responsible for taking drivers to underwater farms
An educational and transformations experience for tourists
50% of the Meso American Reef is located in Mexico, receiving over 15 million visitors every year. With the new Mayan Train, this number will grow by several million people more. Restore Coral is paving the way for a shift from traditional tourism to sustainability tourism in order to protect the 2nd largest coral reef system of the planet.
Get your tickets here
ORDER OF EVENTS FOR MAR DAY (MesoAmerican Reef Day)
From Monday 4th to Sunday 10th of March:
- Virtual reef, installations & educational experience on the main plaza for the Kids
March, Friday 8th
- Radio Tulum (Love For Tulum Documentary on all the NGO ́s working on the 2030 agenda).
- 5 minute presentations (Guests).
- Tech Demonstration Alliance
- Package deals
March, Saturday 9th
- Bring the kids
- Engage community Diving certification (koox, PADI green)
- Learn how to clean coral Impact investment (private room discussion) Aqua man showing
- Free diving lessons Hedoné gathering
March Sunday 10th
- MAR Day. Spend time in the reef
- Diving and Snorkeling at Cozumel
FINALE Dinner Dance
Tulum Km 45 Carretera Tulum-Boca Paila Zona Costera Tulum Tulum Quintana Roo 77780
Tulum, Quintana Roo 77780
Google map and directions
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook Twitter